The world has been responding to Donald Trump’s decision to withdraw America from the Paris Agreement on climate change.
“The science on climate change is perfectly clear: we need more action, not less. … “The US decision to leave Paris in no way brings an end to this unstoppable effort. China, India, the European Union and others are already showing strong leadership. 190 nations are showing strong determination to work with them to protect this and future generations.”
“Removing the United States from the Paris Agreement is a reckless and indefensible action. It undermines America’s standing in the world and threatens to damage humanity’s ability to solve the climate crisis in time. But make no mistake: if President Trump won’t lead, the American people will.”
We “will not be derailed by the ignorance of one man.”
“Donald Trump has made a historic mistake which our grandchildren will look back on with stunned dismay at how a world leader could be so divorced from reality and morality. Trump has abandoned the standard of American leadership, turned his back on the what the public and the market demand, and shamelessly disregarded the safety of our families just to let the fossil fuel industry eke out a few more dollars in profits. This is a decision that will cede America’s role internationally to nations like China and India, which will benefit handsomely from embracing the booming clean energy economy while Trump seeks to drive our country back into the 19th century.”
- BBC – Dismay as Trump signals exit from accord
- BBC – Without Trump, will US cities tackle climate?
- 10:10 – So what can I do?
- Vox – The 5 biggest deceptions in Trump’s Paris climate speech
- Guardian – Obama condemns Trump for ‘rejecting the future’
- Desmog – Trump abandons deal at bidding of fuel interests
- Reuters – US coal stocks fall; exit from deal may hurt, not help
UPDATE (2021) – America rejoins Paris Agreement
- BBC – US rejoins Paris accord: Biden’s first act
- Guardian – US warning: this year’s talks are ‘last, best hope’
- The White House – President Invites Leaders to Summit on Climate